Thursday, January 15, 2009

I Quit My Job For Freedom



Looking back, I think the fact that I was hired through a text message was the first sign that my new job was going to make me want to stick forks in my eyes.  Actually, the first sign may have been that it was for for a certain women's interest network. Rhymes with "Lifetime".  I have nothing against women.  I love them.  I am them.  But if "Lifetime" is supposed to be representative of our interests, I'm revoking my membership.  

I have worked many jobs, most of them bad, but nothing could have prepared me for the tapes and tapes I had to sift through of women eating their feelings.  I think I was supposed to get to an inspirational point where these women started to lose weight and gain self-confidence, but I never got there.  It was just tape after tape of women crying and eating and then crying some more.  And then being asked totally pointed and exploitative questions.  "Okay, but how fat are you?  No, say you're really fat.  You're going to eat that whole pizza for lunch?!?  Tell the camera that.  Tell the camera you can't stop eating.  Why can't you stop eating?  Because you hate yourself.  You hate yourself.  Say it!" You know when it's tough to have lunch?  When you're watching people crying about food and then stuffing their faces because of it.  I think I lost 10 pounds.  And that is the "Lifetime" diet.

My friends are going to DC for the inauguration.  I quit my job to go.  Yes we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment