Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Beginning of the 2009 Fiscal Quarter

I decided to spend the first day of the 2009 fiscal quarter, (a.k.a. my first day of unemployment), running errands. I had a pile of checks to deposit. They were all my paychecks from December, plus a few gifts from my birthday and Christmas. I grabbed them and headed to the bank.

Now, one of my job hunting strategies is to be ever-vigilant anywhere I go during my day, no matter what this or that company happens to be. Is that a "Help Wanted" sign I see? Does this seem like a work atmosphere I'd like? Sometimes I'll even chat with the employees to get the lay of the land. I considered doing this when I showed up at the bank. I could begin to hear myself formulate a question in my head..."how do you get a bank teller job?" Luckily, I caught myself before it came out. Because here's the thing: it's a bank. I would be a terrible, terrible banker.

I totaled up all my checks and filled out a deposit slip. It was a good amount, maybe a couple month's rent. Normally I love depositing my work checks in one lump sum--a very satisfying feeling--but today it was unpleasant. When the teller gave me my receipt, here was a clear, tangible reminder of the way things were.

Later, when I returned home, I found a couple paychecks I'd left behind. I had to go back to the bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment